Monday, May 16, 2011

Showers + Power = OVERLOOKED BLESSINGS!

Don't take hot showers or power for granted ...

While on our campout in Abington, VA on the Damascus "Trail Days" mission trip, the Lord reminded us of something very important - not to take the little things for granted. Throughout the up's and down's of no power and water/hot water throughout the trip, I feel this was God's very loving, kind reminder that we are so abundantly blessed (and spoiled)! There are so many people around the world who live in cardboard boxes, walk the streets and search the dumpsters looking for food and here we are, begging for the hot water to come on! I have to be honest...I enjoy my hot showers every day and was reminded of how I take so many things for granted. We are so blessed ... we have hot water, food, electricity, air condition, a warm bed, cell phones, and so many other things that people around the world have yet to experience. I was reminded of Thailand. While visiting the slums there in December, people literally had nothing, but they were the sweetest, most thankful people I'd ever met. Let this be a reminder not to take the small things for granted - water, food, shelter. I was also reminded of the sweetest, most adorable little 5-year old girl I had ever seen. While distributing Bibles one night, she was going around with her two small siblings selling light-up bouncy balls for a few cents. We were told she was walking the dark streets with no supervision because she was out trying to make food money for her family. Can you imagine sending your 5-year old along the dark, abandoned streets ALONE asking strangers to buy bouncy balls? This still brings tears to my eyes..... let us not forget how extremely blessed we are and pass along the blessing to those around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment